The ban on nuclear weapons is now law! January 22, 2021 at 12:00am - 1:30am | virtual | Puerta del Sol Madrid Spain Organised by: Tony Robinson Virtual event | link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNNfvv7H1Q4
The ban on nuclear weapons is now law!
- On 22 January the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW) enters into force
- Pressenza is holding an online event to mark this historic milestone with special guests who have worked towards this goal
- The event will be broadcast on our YouTube channel and our Facebook page
Special guests from the field of activism and diplomacy will participate in a conversation with Pressenza to celebrate the entry into force of the TPNW. This new element of international law against nuclear weapons will explicitly prohibit any activity involving the production and use of nuclear weapons. It also, for the first time, urges States Parties to engage in environmental remediation activities and support for victims of nuclear explosions. In addition, the treaty recognizes the disproportionate impact on women, and calls for their full participation in the promotion and sustainability of peace and security.
Participating in the event are:
- Elayne Whyte Gómez, Costa Rican Ambassador to the UN in Geneva, who presided over the negotiation conference for the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons
- Federico Mayor Zaragoza, former director general of the UN between 1987 and 1999
- Pedro Arrojo Agudo, former Spanish parliamentarian and current Special Rapporteur on the human right to drinking water and sanitation
- Carmen Magallón, Physics, WILPF Spain
- Carlos Umaña, doctor, IPPNW, ICAN