Social Media Project Officer (50%)
Project period: April 1st - Dec 31st 2021
The International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons is looking for a creative and ambitious person to join us part time (50%) , to support a new digital campaign project that aims to find new and engaging ways to educate people about nuclear weapons and the urgency of eliminating them.
About the organisation
ICAN is the Nobel Peace Prize winning coalition of non-governmental organizations in over one hundred countries committed to prohibiting and eliminating nuclear weapons. ICAN advocates for governments to join and implement the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, organizes global days of action, holds public awareness-raising events, and engages in advocacy at the United Nations and in national parliaments. We work with survivors of the US atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and of nuclear testing across the world, helping share their testimonies with the public and decision makers.
About the position
The social media project officer will be responsible for creating dynamic and engaging social media and web content that supports ICAN’s campaign strategies. We want someone with creative ideas and 1-3 years of experience in content creation and community management, who can identify and make use of storytelling opportunities that arise on social media. This role will require demonstrated experience in copywriting, photo and video editing, and an ability to work swiftly and autonomously.
This position is for someone who loves social media, knows the latest trends and has an eye for recognizing what makes for engaging content. It will be perfect for someone who wants to use their social media skills to make a difference and contribute to a better, safer world. It is a chance to use savvy social media skills to help empower people across the globe to take action to end one of the most dangerous threats to our planet.
Reporting to the Digital Campaign Coordinator, the social media project officer will work together with different members of our small but dynamic team to create engaging content that supports the goals of ICAN’s different campaigns. We operate in a fast-paced and multicultural environment, and as a small team, we are proud of our team spirit, our flexible and collegial work culture, and of course our joint mission to make the world a better place.
- Create regular instagram feed posts, instagram stories, tweets and facebook posts in line with our digital project strategy and post this content across all ICAN platforms.
- Create and manage a content schedule with a regular presence online across our various channels (instagram, ig stories, facebook, twitter) that is aligned with our campaign messages and strategy to amplify our reach
- Respond to comments across all platforms
- Shoot/edit video, reels and tiktoks
- Increase engagement and audience on all the social platforms
- Support the sharing of materials with the campaign time and inspire campaigners all over the world to share and use what is created
For this position, you must:
- Love social media and be current on pop culture, internet, political trends and able to translate that knowledge into sharp, engaging, educational content. We’re looking for someone who thrives on the fast pace of content on social media and can quickly turn new and creative ideas into content that reaches and engages people.
- Have a good eye for images and content that will stand out and engage.
- Have 1-3 years’ experience in a similar role, e.g., social media or community manager and a proven track record of creating content that drives engagement and leads to channel growth.
- Have proven editorial skills and be a compelling, concise and fast writer with flawless spelling. Our working language within the organisation is English but as we operate globally, additional languages will certainly be an asset.
- Able to analyse and report against key KPIs.
- Be able to work with editing software such as Adobe Photoshop, Canva, etc.
- Have a strong interest in the ICAN Campaign and disarmament issues.
This position can be carried out from ICAN’s office in Geneva or remotely, in which case some overlap in terms of time zone with CET/CEST office hours will be required.
ICAN is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of such as gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or disability.
For a 50% position, the monthly salary is CHF 2’500.
How to Apply
Please send your CV, including two references outlining how you meet the specification and why you should be considered for this role to [email protected].
Please include the job title in the subject line of the email.
12 March 2021
Interviews will be scheduled with shortlisted candidates immediately after the closing date.